Re Tam Lin

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Dec 13 11:25:58 EST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>I don't know whether those who
>attended large public universities would find Tam Lin as interesting,
>but I do know that a number of people who attended a mediumsized private
>engineering school recognized it as interesting.

I attended an Extremely Large state university (Hey, this is Texas;
everything's outsize) and I love reading Tam Lin and fantasizing that
this is what attending a small, good liberal arts college would have
been like. I think it's the idea of being around other people who have
read the books I love and who would recognize a quotation from "The
Lady's Not for Burning" and who don't necessarily give me that "You sure
are weird" look if I want to talk about why changing the sequence of
words in a sentence ruins the underlying rhythm that made the sentence
beautiful in the first place and......

well, a college populated by the people on this list would be about right!

Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe