OT: Bujold and "Memory"

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Dec 13 10:54:22 EST 2004

Hello, all.

Well, I'm doing my first full re-read of Bujold's Miles books and I'm
in heaven. I "like" most of them, but I'm reading "Memory" right now
and I "love" this one. This is the one that has more turned down
corners (so I can find my favorite quotes) than any of the others.

My favorite "sequence" of books is _Mirror Dance_, _Memory_, and
_Komarr_. I like the earlier books, but the Dendarii stuff thrills me
less than this transition period. I find the focus on Mark fascinating
in _Mirror Dance_ and the painful transition that Miles is going
through (I'm about 1/3 of the way through _Memory_ right now) riveting.

I don't really have anything deeper to say about these than that,
except thanks to this group for turning me on to these books. I'd read
_Ethan of Athos_ years ago because it was on a list of gay and lesbian
focussed SF, but I didn't pick up the rest of the series until a couple
of years ago at the prompting of this group (Melissa, I think).

Oh, heck, here are a few of my favorite Bujold quotes, just for fun.
Starting with #1:

Aral: “Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what
you know about yourself. . . . There is no more hollow feeling than to
stand with your honor shattered at your feet while soaring public
reputation wraps you in rewards. That’s soul destroying. The other way
around is merely very, very irritating.” (_A Civil Campaign_)

And from _Memory_:

Ivan: “If there’s no game, isn’t winning a pretty meaningless concept?”

Harra: “You go on. You just go on. There’s nothing more to it, and
there’s no trick to make it easier. You just go on.” [This is _so_ true
and exactly the kind of advice my mother would give if she spoke that
way.]

have a great day,

widdy

If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don’t believe in it at all.
Noam Chomsky
Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net