Titus Andronicus (was: RE: Favourite books)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 08:29:58 EST 2004

Gili wrote:
> I've seen two production of "Titus Andronicus" (not including the
Reduced Shakespeare
> Company's cooking show), and both were at least partly staged as black
comedies. ... I
> don't remember much except that one scene was hysterically slapstick,
tossing around a
> black baby doll (which was supposed to be a real baby in the play) as
lightly as though
> it were a football

For quite a while it's slightly nagged me when I read Gate To Women's
Country- the play Stavia learns is supposed to be a comedy, but I didn't
really "get" how people would laugh at it, given the subject- but of
course I've seen several tragedies done for laughs! Thanks for
crystallising that, Gili.
Jennifer