CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sun Dec 12 21:36:51 EST 2004

Jadwiga wrote

>Lewis's attitudes toward women are much more troubling-- I find it
>especially unnerving to realize that his books have a much more
>childish-academic-gentleman prejudice about adult women than Kipling
>does...

Yup. When I grew up and read his essays, there were several passages
that made me want to throw the book across the room and/or stomp on
it....and now, if I re-read the Narnia books, I have to shut off the
corner of my mind that is screaming about his attitudes toward women.
Unfortunately that's true of a lot of literature, not just Narnia. The
Taming of the Shrew, for instance, is a play in praise of wife-beating -
but I still like the musical that Cole Porter made out of it.

I have trouble with the casual anti-semitism that pervades English
novels written before World War II, also.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe