CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 12 19:01:26 EST 2004

> I came across Narnia when I was 7 or 8 and my father read them to me and my
> brother as bedtime stories, a chapter a night.  I think I was about 14 when
> it dawned on me that the death and resurrection of Aslan could match up
> with Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, and I felt frightfully clever for
> figuring that out.

I don't remember when I read the Narnia books, but I know I was less
than 10, and I very specifically noticed the dying-and-reborn-God theme.
I just didn't catch that it was specifically Christian, not having been
brought up any specific sort of Christian (I was sometimes allowed to go
to church with my relatives as a treat, which should say something about
my upbringing...)

As a result I was a bit shocked when I did join a church and they all
told me how Narnia was Christian (I've got some much more Christian
Fantasy about, which I re-read for fun from time to time). It doesn't
bother me that much, but being pantheistic-altruistic-pagan I find that
it doesn't interfere that much with my world-view.

Lewis's attitudes toward women are much more troubling-- I find it
especially unnerving to realize that his books have a much more
childish-academic-gentleman prejudice about adult women than Kipling
does...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_