Judith's interview

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Sun Dec 12 18:24:29 EST 2004

On 11/12/04 7:11 AM, "Kyra Jucovy" <klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

>> This was the best interview with DWJ ever!  Marvelous!
>> Thank you Judith!
>> Amy
>
> I will express my gratitude and enjoyment as well.  My one comment is
> that I was amused by the part about the origins of _The Magicians of
> Caprona_.  She talks about the Moldau from "Ma Vlast" (which I think is
> actually by Smetana, not Janacek), which is also one of my favorite pieces
> of classical music.

Thanks for that Kyra. I maybe should go and footnote that comment. As for
leaving in all the "ums and ahs", I drive myself nuts transcribing tapes
trying to get every exact word down, because I want to keep the flavour of
the actual conversation. Then when writing it up for publication I try and
edit it in such a way as to keep the flavour but lose the "worst" of the
usual conversational meanderings...

Re-reading the transcript to upload it, I could still hear Diana's voice
ringing in my ears, especially the phrase "This is ridiculous, I mean,
wholly ridiculous." (I have often over the years heard her (in my head) say
"wholly ridiculous!" at apposite moments...) So I think the painstaking
transcription blues was worth it!

I also have found heaps of typos plus someone suggested the new window every
page was irritating so I'll spend some time cleaning it up. Thanks to
everyone for the kind comments. Reading the interview is also like visiting
a much younger version of myself; simultaneously more confident (because I
knew less!) and more naïve.

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff