Talking to people who don't hear you (was DWJ quizzes)

Sally Odgers sodgers at dodo.com.au
Sun Dec 12 10:51:00 EST 2004

AGhhh---

I know both situations too well.

Someone: Have some sauce on your chips.
Me: I don't like sauce on chips.
Them: Sauce MAKES chips.
Me: I don't like sauce on chips.

i.e. I make a statement of personal preference/fact, which is countered by a general statement.

You gotta watch the news.
I dislike watching news.
But you gotta know what's going on in the world.
Um. Why?

Or even-

Have a brandy. That'll fix your cold.
I don't have a cold. I have hay fever.
Brandy's the thing for colds. Have some.

Aghhh!