Favourite books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Dec 12 10:18:23 EST 2004

On Saturday, December 11, 2004, at 08:07 PM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net
wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Sally Odgers wrote:
> |TAM LIN - Pamela Dean
>
> You know, I reread Tam Lin, too.  Yet objectively I don't think it's
> that *good*.  I think it's self-indulgent name-dropping English major
> fiction set at Carleton ... er .. fictional Blackstock.  Yet I'm a
> self-indulent English major, so I get off on all the clever
> referentiality.  I like it for many of the same reasons I like much
> fanfic, actually -- it pushes many of my fiction buttons.

I reread it, too.  And I also don't think it's that "good."  But
it certainly presses many of my buttons.  I always want to
go off and study something new after I've read it.  You know --
try to learn Ancient Greek again[1], or study trigonometry or
something.

[1] I had this at college, where I managed to learn very little,
and tried again a few years ago.  It's amazing how much
harder it is to memorize things when you're 50 than it was
when you were 20.  But I still get the urge to go back to
it now and then ....