Huh

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 07:03:38 EST 2004

Ros:

> I have absolutely no idea why my post on C.S. Lewis just appeared in my
> Inbox 3 times! I apologise--except that I don't know what, if anything, I
> did anything wrong!

I think we can take it that it was an allegorical reference to the doctrine
of the Trinity. (Actually it only showed up once in mine, thus revealing my
latent unitarianism.)

I've always liked C.S. Lewis, and my liking doesn't seem to be particularly
correlated to the degree of religiosity. The Narnias are favourite, but I've
also re-read most of his theological books several times, and The Pilgrim's
Regress is a book I frequently return (or perhaps regress) to. Less keen on
his SF trilogy, and of the three I'm least keen on the first - just too
slow, is my memory of it. The attitudes that grate on me, at various
isolated points, are those to do with women and royalism and his instinctive
mistrust of change in general, rather than the religion. Although I'm not a
believer his religious beliefs are ones I feel I could 'discuss' with him
(except that in the flesh I think he was a rather frightening debater), and
besides I like to see what it's like to hold them, which he lets me do as
few other writers do.

Charlie