Favourite books

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Sat Dec 11 23:42:42 EST 2004

<
> Books:
> The books are listed under genre, and under genre, alphabetically under
> author.  Named below the author are the books recommended most, or the
> one/ones best known by the author, or the only one/ones I have read by
> the author.  If ALL is listed beneath the author, all the books are
> amazing.

> Susan B. Cooper
>        ALL
>         the series The Dark is Rising (begins with Over Sea, Under
> Stone,
> though you can also start with          The Dark is Rising (Book 2))

I'm not all that impressed by her work outside that series.>

That series is definitely the best, but I enjoyed her others, too.  I
remember laughing a lot when I read The Boggart when I was little.

<
> Diane Duane
>        ALL
>        the series starting with So You Want to be a Wizard?

Are you including her "My Little Pony" books in that "ALL"?  :-)>

Well...

<
> C.S. Lewis
>        ALL

Does that include *Out of the Silent Planet*, *Perelandra* and *That
Hideous Strength*?  If it does, be aware that he re-wrote the
last-named,
and if what you've read is the paperback, it is not complete, and what
he
chose to cut seems to have been in general the bits I liked best, the
small
charming touches.  I found the attitude to women in it to be rather
nasty,
too.

What about *The Screwtape Letters*?  Those get me seriously tangled,
because what they always end up making me feel is that Christianity is
*impossible*, and I'm sure that isn't what he meant to convey.>

I have a kind of strange relationship with all the CS Lewis books,
because I read them when I was too young to realize the references to
Christianity were there (especially because I didn't know much about
Christianity).  So I really enjoyed and loved Narnia as well as the
trilogy.  Actually, I was kind of obsessed- they were my first fantasy
books, and there was a time when I read a Narnia book every day for
almost a year.  That was in third grade, when I was very lonely and
sad.  Now, I can hardly read any of the CS Lewis books without getting
seriously annoyed by the Christianity, but I also can't help loving
them when I look at them the way I used to.  I never really liked The
Screwtape Letters.

<
> Patricia C. Wrede
>        ALL
> Try starting with: the series The Enchanted Forest (begins with Dealing
> with Dragons)

No no no, start with *The Seven Towers*, it has the funniest witch ever
written.>

I am in the middle of The Seven Towers, since I finally got a copy.
Yes, Amberglas is a riot!

<
> William Shakespeare
>        ALL
>        Comedy: Much Ado About Nothing, Tragedy: Hamlet

I defy you.  Do you honestly stand there with your hand on your heart
and
tell  me that you like *Titus Andronicus*?  I don't believe one can
*like*
it.  Admire, maybe (I don't), but *like*?
Minnow>

I can't say I enjoyed Titus Andronicus.  I think when I like an
overwhelming number of books by an author I write ALL with a burst of
enthusiasm and the quick rationalization that the number of really good
books make up for it.  But I hadn't said that, so you are quite right
to defy me!

-Katie