Favourite books (was Re: Blank Intro "form")

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Sat Dec 11 19:32:21 EST 2004

At 10:03 AM 11/12/2004 -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:43:35 +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
> >>Bel Kaufman
> >>        Up the Down Staircase
> >
> >For years I've been the only person I knew who'd ever read that.  Good to
> >know I'm not alone.
>
>I was loaned this by my mentor in high school, who was very good at choosing
>quality literature.  A few years ago I finally bought it, having discovered
>that I checked it out from the library on a far too regular basis.  Talk
>about epistolary fiction--structurally it's just amazing, emotionally even
>more so.
>
>Speaking of modern epistolary works, Meg Cabot (of The Princess Diaries) has
>written a pair of fiction-romance works told entirely through written
>communication, like email, interoffice memos, instant messaging, etc.  Jacob
>and I both love them.  They're _The Boy Next Door_ and _Boy Meets
>Girl_--sweet romance, a lot of humor, and I imagine a great deal of
>catharsis for anyone who works for a heartless corporation.

I don't usually like books using this type of communication, probably
because I find it hard to remember to read the date, "to" and "from" etc (I
forget to read chapter titles as well). But these books were fun!

I've also just read for the first time _Sorcery and Cecelia_! It's just
come out in paperback here, and I loved it. Thank you once again list!

Emma :)