Favourite books (was Re: Blank Intro "form")

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Sat Dec 11 19:17:12 EST 2004

At 04:08 PM 11/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:39:09 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> >
> >> I usually re-read _The Dark is Rising_ at Christmastime myself for the
> same
> >> reason.  And I loved _Seaward_.  Both of those books have this
> atmosphere to
> >> them that is really unique.
> >
> >Yes! Yes indeedy. And it's the atmosphere that I really love. It sort of
> >surrounds me in a bubble when I'm reading those books, and the words are
> >all the right words to be in that bubble, and the plot is part of the
> >atmosphere, part of the scenery. It's like a physical path that you're
> >tracing, spread out before you, in the atmosphere.
> >
>Now I have to read it again.  :)  I just flashed on that great scene near
>the beginning with his whole family around the table, and the snow and the
>dogs and everything....
>
>(I finished the Company novels without realizing it, so I can take on
>something new.  Provided I don't get drawn into the new Gregor the
>Overlander book first.)
>
>Melissa Proffitt
>who is truly a sucker for great literary ambience

And now I've just remembered how much I love Seaward, and that since I have
a copy now I can go re-read it!  I often re-read The Dark is rising at
Christmas - even though it's always hot here the Christmas atmosphere is
the same.

Now I'm trying to remember why I didn't put Cooper on my favourites list -
I think I just get tired of putting the same authors over and over, which
is quite unfair to them!

Emma