Favourite books (was Re: Blank Intro "form")

Sat Dec 11 18:08:18 EST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:39:09 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> I usually re-read _The Dark is Rising_ at Christmastime myself for the same
>> reason.  And I loved _Seaward_.  Both of those books have this atmosphere to
>> them that is really unique.
>
>Yes! Yes indeedy. And it's the atmosphere that I really love. It sort of
>surrounds me in a bubble when I'm reading those books, and the words are
>all the right words to be in that bubble, and the plot is part of the
>atmosphere, part of the scenery. It's like a physical path that you're
>tracing, spread out before you, in the atmosphere.

Now I have to read it again.  :)  I just flashed on that great scene near
the beginning with his whole family around the table, and the snow and the
dogs and everything....

(I finished the Company novels without realizing it, so I can take on
something new.  Provided I don't get drawn into the new Gregor the
Overlander book first.)

Melissa Proffitt
who is truly a sucker for great literary ambience