Intro

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Dec 11 12:34:32 EST 2004

Name: Kyla Tornheim

Living in: near Boston, MA

Age: 25

What I do when not playing here:

the stuff that gets me money: I'm a museum assistant at a small Victorian
house museum in Boston. I give tours, keep the mailing list up to date,
copyedit stuff, design publications...basically, I do a little bit of
everything.

the stuff that might get me money someday: I'm finishing up a class in
historic preservation; I'm probably going to go to grad school in said
field, in hopes that I will then get a job.

the stuff that will never get me money but is fun: I'm on a folk dance
team, doing an English ritual dance form called "rapper," which has
nothing to do with the modern musical form. It was started by coal miners
dancing in pubs, and is kind of a cross between longsword and Appalachian
clog dancing, although it's more fun than either of those. I get to do
flips. I'm also in a performance group that's part of Revels, Inc., which
does shows incorporating songs, dances, instrumental pieces, and stories
from various cultures; unfortunately, my class has conflicted with
rehearsals this semester, so I've sort of been taking the semester off
from it.

Married/partnered/?: Not according to this list ;^) ; but my boyfriend and
I have been together for over two years and started living together in
September, so I feel like that's something.

Offspring (human variety): none yet.

Offspring (non-human): none, particularly as I'm not sure I've completely
grown out of my allergy to cats (which is too bad as I love cats; I'm fine
around cats for at least a few weeks, but I don't know about longer
periods of time), and I have a very dear friend who is violently allergic
to anything furry, and I would like her to be able to continue to visit
us.

First DWJ/when: I'm never truly sure of this. I must have been about 8 or
9, because once I'd started reading DWJ books I read pretty much
everything there was in the library except for Fire and Hemlock and The
Homeward Bounders, which were a bit old for me then (the former) and too
sad (the latter, although my sister later contradicted my mother's opinion
and now it's one of my favorites). I think this must have been late 1987
or so, because it seems to me that Time City is one of "the books that was
always there," and Lives of Christpher Chant was the first new one I
remember waiting for, so those copyright dates are what I'm going by.

So I think my first DWJ was either Charmed Life or The Ogre Downstairs,
because that's always what my mother recommends people start with (if
they're children, that is). Yes, my mother and my sister are both avid DWJ
readers, and we've managed to get my dad to read a number of them, too.

Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!): Until Hexwood came out,
my favorite was Fire and Hemlock. Then Hexwood came out, and stood proudly
atop the mass of "but I love them *so* *much*!" books. Then Deep Secret
came out, and is currently cuddling with Hexwood atop that mass.

Least favourite DWJ: It seemed to me, when in the last two years I reread
all the DWJ books I could get my hands on (this would be all of them
except for Changeover and the Tough Guide--I do have the Tough Guide, but
it's not a sit-down-and-read-it type of book for me), that there aren't
really DWJ books I don't like, there are just books I haven't reread
enough. Not that that's what this is asking. I would say Witch's Business,
Dogsbody, and Aunt/Black Maria, as books that are fine, and I don't
dislike them, but neither do I get cravings to read them as happens with
basically every other DWJ book. Oooh--I haven't read Year of the Griffin
recently. ;^)

Other favourite authors/books: This list is going to be boringly like
everyone else's. Lois McMaster Bujold, Patricia C. Wrede (whose last name,
I have recently discovered, is pronounced "reedy." LMB herself says so),
Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen, Dorothy Sayers, Garth Nix. Robin McKinley's
Beauty, The Hero and the Crown, and The Blue Sword. Sherwood Smith's Crown
and Court Duet (thank you, Hallie, for the rec). Elizabeth Marie Pope's
The Perilous Gard (and I like The Sherwood Game more and more each time I
read it, although compared to her other book--and why on earth did she not
write more?--it's not nearly as perfect and brilliant). Ruth Park's
Playing Beatie Bow (one of my all-time comfort books). Monica Hughes's
Invitation to the Game.

I still have a huge soft spot for Edward Eager, Tamora Pierce, and
Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books. The descriptions of food in The Secret
Garden (as well as my choice for Best Chapter Title ever, "'I Won't!' Said
Mary") will always make me happy. Mary Monica Pulver's Peter Brichter
mysteries are great, and I wish she'd written more than five. I also have
fond childhood memories of Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy, Tacy and Tib books,
and more recent fond memories of the high-school-and-older ones. I could,
of course, go on forever.

Music: Generally, things I can sing along to. This means singer-songwriter
type things (I'm currently addicted to Katryna & Nerissa Nields' album
"This Town Is Wrong"), folkish rockish type things (October Project, best
band ever, now thankfully back in another incarnation, still with great
lyrics and melodies; or Indigo Girls), countryish things (Mary Chapin
Carpenter and Kim Richey, in particular), folk type things (Bill Staines,
who I've seen in concert about once a year for the past 20 or so years),
and Celtic type things (Dervish is *great* in concert).

Favourite movies: If I had to name just one, I would probably say Bend It
Like Beckham, because it's the only movie I've ever seen three times in
the theater. Willow, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Princess Bride
are probably the movies I can recite. Then there are the musicals (Seven
Brides for Seven Brothers and Singin' in the Rain, especially), the
romantic comedies (When Harry Met Sally, Someone Like You, The Wedding
Singer), and the fun action movies (Die Hard, True Lies, The Italian Job
(the new one)).

Favourite TV (or rather, what I actually watch atm): the weekly tv
watching is Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Lost, The West Wing, and Joan of
Arcadia. The former tv is Star Trek: The Next Generation, Buffy, Angel,
and Sports Night, pretty much.

Currently reading: For my class, Michael Holleran's "Boston's 'Changeful
Times,'", which is quite nifty (and if anyone's interested in Boston's
history in terms of building and planning and land-making, I highly
recommend Walter Muir Whitehill and Lawrence Kennedy's "Boston: A
Topographical History," which has old maps and drawings to illustrate
stuff). For reaction against all my class reading, I allowed myself to
start rereading "Shards of Honor," with an eye towards rereading all LMB's
stuff after it. I blame this list and the recent discussion of the LMB
list. :^)

You know, that's the thing about the intro survey. You can either answer
it concisely, or, well, not. I erred on the side of not. :^)