Tarot (was Re: Birthdays)

Sat Dec 11 12:19:12 EST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:48:13 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>Interesting thing, Tarot. I invented my own version for a book once. I then
>had to do a story based on a card, and accidentally included letters...only
>to find the card DID stand for correspondence!

We adapted the Tarot for a roleplaying game a few years ago.  One of the
players had taken some kind of future-telling "power," sort of minor
divination, and she was playing a gypsy.  So Jacob and I (running the game
as a team) decided to make her work for her extra information.  I took out
all the major arcana from my deck, added a few more symbolic cards, and
wrote a guide book for interpreting the symbols.  When she used her power,
she did a basic three-card layout and we handed her the cards that came up.
She loved the idea, and it really added to the game.  In fact, that game
became legendary in our set, for several reasons.*

And I finally chose a deck I liked--the Dragon deck by Peter Pracownik.  I
read the cards for people at Halloween for the first time in years.  It was
great fun, and I chatted with another person who had just begun reading
herself.

Melissa Proffitt

*for those interested, the main reason was that we had a fantastic player
whose character was a barbarian named Shonsu (not the actual character, more
like what Shonsu might have been like before Wallie Smith reincarnated as
him.  And if Shonsu were dumb as a brick).  I was running character
interactions with NPCs and had created the evil goddess Sybel, who made the
characters' lives hell.  Shonsu decided that Sybel wouldn't be so evil if
she had worshippers, so he brought back the Worship of Sybel--but instead of
blood sacrifice, followers sacrificed sweat.  Yes, that's right, he invented
a physical fitness cult.  I thought it was so creative that Sybel might
actually go for it, and it turns out that Sybel is indeed inspired by the
sight of buff, sweaty, muscular half-naked men.  I mean, who isn't?  :)