Favourite books (was Re: Blank Intro "form")

Sat Dec 11 12:03:27 EST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:43:35 +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>>Bel Kaufman
>>        Up the Down Staircase
>
>For years I've been the only person I knew who'd ever read that.  Good to
>know I'm not alone.

I was loaned this by my mentor in high school, who was very good at choosing
quality literature.  A few years ago I finally bought it, having discovered
that I checked it out from the library on a far too regular basis.  Talk
about epistolary fiction--structurally it's just amazing, emotionally even
more so.

Speaking of modern epistolary works, Meg Cabot (of The Princess Diaries) has
written a pair of fiction-romance works told entirely through written
communication, like email, interoffice memos, instant messaging, etc.  Jacob
and I both love them.  They're _The Boy Next Door_ and _Boy Meets
Girl_--sweet romance, a lot of humor, and I imagine a great deal of
catharsis for anyone who works for a heartless corporation.

Melissa Proffitt