Heyer (was Re: Names of children (was Melissa's Introduction))

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 10 22:52:53 EST 2004

>It is my opinion that *My Lord John* is seriously flawed by Heyer's
>apparent blind spot about religion: it is not sensible to write an
>ostensibly accurate and historical book set among the nobility in the early
>fifteenth century and make no mention of any character in it having any
>religious feeling or motivation.  A bit like writing something set in the
>present day among the Cabinet or the Administration and having nobody in it
>with any interest in money or sex.

I think it is also flawed by the fact that her medieval research into
minutiae was necessarily much less detailed. I think there is an issue
about her not getting the dynamic of a medieval world view (this is me
agreeing with Melissa in different words). If you look at what a fabulous
Regency sensibility she has, then perhaps it is not surprising that she
found a period that is so different to be difficult. There's also the issue
of language. Heyer does faux-regency so well, I think with My Lord John she
was trying to sound medieval, but it doesn't come off as frothy and amusing
like the other books; it's more ponderous and impenetrable. She needed to
read more Chaucer.

Robyn