Blank Intro "form"

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Fri Dec 10 15:30:50 EST 2004

I sent this in before, but I have a feeling it didn't work.  Sorry if
this is the second time.

Name:
Katie Meyers
Living in:
Weston, CT, USA
Age:
16
What I do when not playing here:
Besides massive amounts of homework...
Acting-    I just finished being in Tartuffe and it was awesome!!!!  We
used the Wilbur translation.  I played M. Pernelle (one of the most fun
characters I have ever played- I got to whack people with my umbrella!)
  I had rehearsals from 4-10 every day last week, then three
performances.  It was a big success, and now I am all depressed until
the musical.
I am also in Chamber Singers and Jazz Band at school.  I am secretary
of the Board for my school drama program.  And I tutor kids in Biology.
Married/partnered/?:
no!
Offspring (human variety):
none!!
Offspring (non-human):
none
First DWJ/when:
Hmm, it might have been Witch Week, probably when I was 9.
Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!):
Hexwood
also- Howl, Dark Lord, Crown of Dalemark (although it seems it's a lot
of people's least favorite), Archer's Goon, Homeward Bounders, Lives of
Christopher Chant
Least favourite DWJ:
maybe Witch's Business/Wilkin's Tooth, Time of the Ghost, Aunt Maria,
Fire and Hemlock-- not that I don't like them, just like them least
Other favourite authors/books:
I have trouble deciding on a few.  I am putting my standard list at the
very bottom, because it is long and maybe not all that interesting.
And some of them are totally guilty pleasure only, or I loved when I
was younger but now don't like quite as much.
Music:
musicals, haydn, classical, jazz, trombone
Currently reading:
I decided to try Lois McMaster Bujold, so I got my school library's
only one out- The Warrior's Apprentice.  Knowing my school library, it
probably isn't representative.
If there is any connection between liking Bujold and DWJ, I wonder why
that would be?  They don't seem all that similar.
The Seven Towers by Patricia Wrede

To reply to various topics-
I tried the Baroque cycle, and was just not interested.  I may try
again.
I've never watched Buffy, because I don't watch TV.  I'd rather read.

-Katie

Tartuffe:
Madam, forget such fears, and be my pupil,
And I shall teach you how to conquer scruple.

Books:
The books are listed under genre, and under genre, alphabetically under
author.  Named below the author are the books recommended most, or the
one/ones best known by the author, or the only one/ones I have read by
the author.  If ALL is listed beneath the author, all the books are
amazing.

Fantasy
Joan Aiken
	ALL
	The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, the series Dido Twite
Rebecca Bradley
	 the series starting with Lady in Gil
Eoin Colfer (comedy)
	ALL
	the Artemis Fowl series (begins with Artemis Fowl)
Susan B. Cooper
	ALL
	 the series The Dark is Rising (begins with Over Sea, Under Stone,
though you can also start with 		The Dark is Rising (Book 2))
Roald Dahl
	The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches
Pamela Dean
	The Secret Country trilogy
Diane Duane
	ALL
	the series starting with So You Want to be a Wizard?
Dave Duncan
	the series starting with The Magic Casement or the series The
	King’s Blades
Edward Eager
	ALL
	 Knight’s Castle
David Eddings
	ALL
	 the series The Belgariad (begins with Pawn of Prophecy)
Susan Fletcher
	ALL
	The series starting with Flight of the Dragon Kyn
Victoria Hanley
	the series starting with The Seer and the Sword
Robin Hobb
Dahlov Ipcar
	A Dark Horn Blowing
Brian Jacques
	 Redwall
Diana Wynne Jones- MY FAVORITE (also Sci-Fi)
	ALL
	 Dark Lord of Derkholm, Howl’s Moving Castle, Archer’s Goon, Cart and
Cwidder (first book in 	the Dalemark Quartet), The Tough Guide to
Fantasyland
Ursula K. Le Guin
	the series starting with Archmage Gedd
C.S. Louis
	ALL
	The Chronicles of Narnia (first book The Magician’s Nephew, but you
can start with The Lion, The 	Witch, and the Wardrobe, read the series
and then the first as a prequel as it is very unconnected)
George R.R. Martin
	the series starting with A Clash of Kings
Robin McKinley
	the series starting with The Hero and the Crown
L.E. Modesitt Jr.
	the series starting with The Magic of Recluce
E. Nesbit
Garth Nix (also Sci-Fi)
	ALL
	the series starting with Sabriel
Robert O’Brien
	 Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Tamora Pierce
	ALL
	 the series Song of the Lioness (begins with Alanna: the First
Adventure)
Terry Pratchett (comedy tilt)
	the series Discworld- order does not matter, has miniserieses within
	Soul Music, Witches Abroad
Philip Pullman
	the series His Dark Materials (begins with The Golden Compass)
Mary Rodgers
	the series starting with Freaky Friday
J.K. Rowling
	ALL
J.R.R. Tolkien
	ALL
Megan Whalen Turner
	ALL
Patricia C. Wrede
	ALL
Try starting with: the series The Enchanted Forest (begins with Dealing
with Dragons)
  Mary Frances Zambreno
	Try starting with: the series starting with A Plague of Sorcerers

Science-Fiction
Orson Scott Card
	 Ender’s Game, Ender series
John Christopher
	 the series The Tripods (begins with The White Mountains)
Nancy Farmer (also Historical)
	ALL
	 The Eye, the Ear, and the Arm, The House of the Scorpion
Robert A. Heinlein
	 Stranger in a Strange Land
Frank Herbert
	the series Dune (begins with Dune)
L. Ron Hubbard
	Battlefield Earth
Alduous Huxley
	Brave New World
Diana Wynne Jones (also Fantasy)
	ALL
	 Hexwood, The Homeward Bounders
Madeleine L’Engle
	ALL
	the series starting with A Wrinkle In Time
Anne McCaffrey
	ALL
	the series Pern
Garth Nix (also Fantasy)
	 Shade’s Children
George Orwell (also Other)
	1984

Mystery
Wilkie Collins
	 The Moonstone, The Woman in White
Ellen Raskin
	The Westing Game

Historical Fiction
Nancy Farmer (also Sci-Fi) (now with a Fantasy tilt)
	ALL
	 A Girl Named Disaster
Lawson
	Ben and Me
Chaim Potak
	ALL
	The Chosen
Elizabeth Speare
	TThe Witch of Blackbird Pond
Leon Uris
	Exodus

Other Fiction
Jane Austen
	ALL
	Pride and Prejudice
Jean Craighead George
	Julie of the Wolves
Helen Cresswell (comedy tilt)
	ALL
	 the series The Bagthorpe Saga (begins with Ordinary Jack)
Alexandre Dumas
	the series starting with The Three Musketeers, The Count of Mont Cristo
Meindert DeJong
	 The Wheel on the School
Louise Fitzhugh
	the series starting with Harriet the Spy
Bel Kaufman
	Up the Down Staircase
E.L. Konigsburg
	ALL
	The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, The View from Saturday
Baroness Orczy
	The Scarlet Pimpernel
George Orwell (historical fable tilt)
	Animal Farm
Arthur Ransome
	 the series with Swallowdale, We Didn’t Mean to go to Sea.
Louis Sachar
	Holes, Wayside School series, There’s A Girl In the Boy’s Bathroom
Plays

Enter Laughing
Noises Off
Tartuffe
Pygmalion
A Doll’s House

William Shakespeare
	ALL
	Comedy: Much Ado About Nothing, Tragedy: Hamlet
Tom Stoppard
	Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Oscar Wilde
	The Importance of Being Earnest

Non-Fiction

The Dorling Kindersley Science Encyclopedia
	Fran Balkwile
the series with Cell Wars
	Berger
The Scholastic Science Dictionary
Felice Frankel and George M. Whitesides
	On the Surface of Things
Kathleen Krull
	The series Lives of… with Lives of the Musicians
Paul Kneif
	Microbe Hunters

Magazines
Analog