Judith's interview

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Dec 10 15:11:51 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Amy Harlib wrote:

> > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Judith Ridge wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.misrule.com.au/dwj92_1.html
>
> This was the best interview with DWJ ever!  Marvelous!
> Thank you Judith!
> Amy

I will express my gratitude and enjoyment as well.  My one comment is
that I was amused by the part about the origins of _The Magicians of
Caprona_.  She talks about the Moldau from "Ma Vlast" (which I think is
actually by Smetana, not Janacek), which is also one of my favorite pieces
of classical music.  But she says that she wondered upon hearing it why
no one had put words to it, and that the whole book came from the sense of
needing the words.  As a matter of fact, although it's not strictly to the
piece itself, the Israeli national anthem, "HaTivkah," is lyrics set to
the same tune (although it's not clear whether the writer of the anthem
got the music from the Moldau or from an earlier common source in a
folksong).  I had never thought of it in terms of "The Angel of Caprona"
before!  But I guess the Angel is also a sort of national anthem. . . .

					---Kyra

---
Grace Margaret Mulligan: "I want to make this world a little better."
			---Lars Von Trier, _Dogville_