Blank Intro "form" (fwd)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Dec 10 13:12:51 EST 2004

Name: Deborah Kaplan

Living in: Arlington MA

Age: 31.  (Leo; I don't share birthday with anyone interesting except
for Maxfield Parrish, although I was born the day after my grandmother
and two authors who share my birthday appear to be Max Dauthendey and
Nobel Prize in literature winner Elias Canetti.  Also I share birthday
with Balfour, Peggy Fleming, Iman, Coleridge's death, Puerto Rico's
constitution day, and the anniversary of the start of hostilities in the
Maine/Massachusetts war.  I'm not making that up.)

What I do when not playing here: I'm a graduate student in library
science, switching careers after being a systems administrator and
release engineer for a series of software companies.  I spend too much
time playing on the Internet, being completely obsessed with Buffy and all
things Joss Whedon (sorry, non-Buffy people, but it's true), reading pro
fiction, reading fanfiction.

Married/partnered/?: partner of 9 or 13 years (depending whether or not
you count college), Allen.

Offspring (human variety): nope.

Offspring (non-human): three cats: Trolley (brought home from the MSPCA
on the green line trolley); Aditu (personally, I never got past the
first book of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, but I liked the name when it
was suggested); and Crowley (named after Alistair Crowley, not the demon
from Good Omens).  Also fostering Klaus -- Klaus came in with his two
sisters, curious Violet and tiny, 24-toed Sunny, who have both already
been adopted.  So currently two cats named after book characters in the
house, and one who can pass for named after book character.  Not that
the book Crowley would have anything to do with our fat, furry fuzzball
who can't keep himself clean.

First DWJ/when: Charmed Life, found in the library when I was about 12

Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!): nope, sorry, won't play
this one.  In the past it has been Homeward Bounders, Howl's, and Dark
Lord, though.

Least favourite DWJ: Changeover

Other favourite authors/books: I don't think I can play this one either.
Like many people, I can name LMB, Heyer, Pullman, Megan Whelan Turner,
and all the usual suspects.  I'll throw in Sendak, Sally Watson, Nalo
Hopkinson, Heyer, Sean Stewart, Joan Aiken, a number of fanfiction
writers  ... you know what?  I'm not gonna try.  I like books.

Music: lots of punky folk (Boiled in Lead), folky punk (the Pogues),
alternative folk (old Nields), folky rock (Michelle Shocked), folky
bluegrass (Alison Krauss), folky roots and country (Steve Earle): notice
the common theme?

   Number one band: Girlyman ("delicious acoustic harmony-driven gender
   pop") who are gorgeous, and you should all go listen (
   http://www.girlyman.com/themusic/soundclips.html ).  Oh, and classic
   rock, and 80's new wave.

Currently reading: school work; just finished Diane Duane's Stealing the
Elf King's Roses; torturously slogging my way through the Fountainhead;
The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy; more
schoolwork.

Converted to by this list:  Martine Leavitt

don't celebrate Christmas, but do love my Playmobil pirate ship.

-deborah
--
I don't suppose that I have ever been so happy.  No; was it happiness?
Something wider and darker, more like knowledge, more like the night: joy.