Heyer was Re: Names of children

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Dec 10 10:36:37 EST 2004

On Thursday, December 9, 2004, at 04:46 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:11:28 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:
>> I live in
>> the USofA and have read almost everything of hers I've ever heard of
>> and
>> even own some I've never gotten through, like _Simon the Coldheart_.
>> For heaven's sake, I even have _Lord John_, which is about somebody
>> I'm interested in, but is practically impenetrably written.  [It's a
>> historical novel, not a romance.]
>
> I haven't wanted to read _An Infamous Army_ for similar reasons, though
> Jacob says it's pretty good.  I had trouble with _The Toll-Gate_,
> which is
> very good, because I kept trying to read it as a romance and it's
> really
> more of a thriller.  I think we only own three I haven't read, and
> they're
> all historical.

Jacob is quite right.  _An Infamous Army_ _is_ good.  There are enough
characters that have already been established in the romances to
keep it from being quite as dry as the strictly historical books.  I
like
it better than _The Spanish Bride_, for instance, which is more purely
historical.

I will say that Ms. Heyer knew a hell of a lot about the Napoleonic
Wars.

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there
is no hope for it.

                                          - A. Einstein