Nasty Children (in DWJ)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 10 09:30:36 EST 2004

> >Although I too think
> >Gwendolen could have been better had she had better parenting.
>
> Gwendoline had no parenting to speak of on account of her parents were
> dead, but then neither did Cat, and he didn't turn into a little toad.

Well, she was about 8 or 9 when her parents died, wasn't she? And they
knew she was using her brother in some way. Admittedly, what they could
have done was limited, since my impulse (as a non-parent but experienced
live-in aunt) would be to have her magic taken away at that point, and I
think they would have needed help from the Ministry of Magic to do that.
That's where Chrestomanci's admission that he blew off the letter from
Cat's father is so telling. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_