Heyer (was Re: Names of children (was Melissa's Introduction))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Dec 10 08:32:19 EST 2004

Otter wrote:

>For heaven's sake, I even have _Lord John_, which is about somebody
>I'm interested in, but is practically impenetrably written.  [It's a
>historical novel, not a romance.]

It is my opinion that *My Lord John* is seriously flawed by Heyer's
apparent blind spot about religion: it is not sensible to write an
ostensibly accurate and historical book set among the nobility in the early
fifteenth century and make no mention of any character in it having any
religious feeling or motivation.  A bit like writing something set in the
present day among the Cabinet or the Administration and having nobody in it
with any interest in money or sex.

Minnow