Names of children (was Melissa's Introduction)

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Fri Dec 10 04:16:16 EST 2004

Irina wrote: >My mother was an avid Heyer reader, and that's the reason that
I don't
read it: it's "what my mother read" and I can't come to it fresh. If I
don't like it, I'll never know if it's because it's really not to my
taste or to be different from my mother.

It's a pity about those issues, because I could have a box full from her
>estate, and perhaps I *would* like it if things had been different.

I've never read Heyer, but it seems my mother-in-law liked her, there are
plenty of Heyer books on her shelves. She passed away about a year ago.  I
would gladly borrow them, but my father-in-law, who was pushing all sorts of
keepsakes at me that I didn't really want (such as her clothes, which I
really didn't want, and her fur coat, which I REALLY didn't want) reacted so
oddly when I asked for one of her books, that I'm not going to raise the
subject again. She had several children's books, including Oz books, which I
collect. He claimed he didn't want to give away any of her books (did not
even agree to lend me a particular one) before making a full inventory, so
he could split them exactly equally between his two boys, and that it will
take him several years to inventory them. I suppose the books somehow mean
something to him that can't be explained rationally. I just found it odd
that he was so willing, almost anxious, for me to take certain articles of
her personal belongings, but refused me a book to which I clearly have an
affinity. Anyway, I'm not complaining, just bringing it up as one of those
inexplicable things.