Names of children (was Melissa's Introduction)

Thu Dec 9 18:46:55 EST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:11:28 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:

>>> There's Heyer you haven't read yet? Lucky thing!
>>
>> I live in America.  Until recently it was almost a miracle for an
>> American
>> of my generation to have read *any* Heyer.

>Hmmm.  Maybe the phrase 'of my generation' is the thing here.

It is, definitely, because I know that she's quite well known to readers
about twenty years older than I am.  My mother-in-law had certainly heard of
her, and two years ago when I started reading them in earnest I happened to
find a stash owned by a lady for whom a friend was house-sitting--another
person older than me.  So it's not that Heyer was never widely read in the
US, it's just that there was a period of time where they weren't being
published and she sort of disappeared.  I don't know enough about the
romance market to correlate the recent upswing of interest in Regency
romances with the reintroduction of Heyer, but I would guess that
mass-market Regency books also weren't as common until recently.  Jacob's
mom might know; that's her favorite subgenre.

>I live in
>the USofA and have read almost everything of hers I've ever heard of and
>even own some I've never gotten through, like _Simon the Coldheart_.
>For heaven's sake, I even have _Lord John_, which is about somebody
>I'm interested in, but is practically impenetrably written.  [It's a
>historical
>novel, not a romance.]

I haven't wanted to read _An Infamous Army_ for similar reasons, though
Jacob says it's pretty good.  I had trouble with _The Toll-Gate_, which is
very good, because I kept trying to read it as a romance and it's really
more of a thriller.  I think we only own three I haven't read, and they're
all historical.

>I think I read _The Masqueraders_ first , in 1976 in a paperback my
>roommate
>had.  She didn't like it; I did.

I just read that a few months ago and loved it.  Couldn't believe how early
it had been written, either.  I really liked how convincing the brother was
as a woman and also as a man.

Melissa Proffitt