Roger's Intro

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 9 12:41:13 EST 2004

> [Although we have a TV in our house, it is not connected to
>  the outside world in any way.  We just use it for tapes and
>  DVDs.  We occasionally wish we got PBS, but we would
>  have to get cable and we just can't spare the money for
>  that.  Plus, if we had cable, we might watch more than
>  just PBS and The Weather Channel, and our brains would
>  rot.  I'm not saying everybody's brains rot under these
>  circumstances, but we've had cable before [in other places]
>  and I'm pretty sure ours would.]

My general experience has been that if there is a tv around I will end
up watching too much as a sort of default activity whereas if I don't
have one, I don't really miss it.  There are really only a few shows I
logically think are worth watching but somehow if the television is
there I end up wasting time in front of it.  I mostly like to be able to
watch dvds and I can do this fine on my computer.  Now arguably, I just
waste time at my computer, but that's a different issue.

Allison