Dratted vampires (was Re: Roger's Intro)

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 9 01:44:02 EST 2004

>> You could have tried "Is there anything even remotely vampirical or
>> vampiroid or whatever the word ought to be in DWJ's work?" and got us
>> started on whether leaning on someone else the way Nick in *Deep Secret*
>> or
>> Grundo in *The Merlin Conspiracy* does, or Gwendoline in *Charmed Life*,
>> is
>> in some way related, a sort of psychic vampirism.
>
> Hm.. What about Gwendolen? She's probably the closest, that I can think
> of. But she's really more in a different folk tradition, the stealing of
> someone's *power*, not life, even though it's Cat's lives she's playing
> with.
>
> -- J. who finds vampires generally boring and adolescent generally,
> and is Deeply Disturbed that Robin McKinley felt the need to write about
> them
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika

I really enjoyed that book. I do agree, though, that the way that vampires
are so commonly written about now, especially in dark fantasy novels (with
the vampire being just another kind of sexy human) they *are* boring. I felt
that in Rosbin McKinley's _Sunshine_ there was a genuine, disturbing
alienness about the vampires, even the one.....

SLIGHT SPOILER

...whom the main character befriends.

Ros

Ros