A Tossed Salad of Replies...

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Dec 7 18:13:56 EST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 4:54 PM, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:44:35PM -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
>> For what it may be worth, I have three of his books.  "The Drawing of
>> the
>> Dark" was the first I bought, and I still find it the most accessible
>> (and
>> a hell of a fun read).  "The Anubis Gates" I found to require more
>> brain-engagement, but still a lot of fun.  "Last Call" I found good,
>> but
>> required decided brain-engagement, and I wouldn't recommend it as a
>> starter
>> (it will also probably help, in reading this one, to have some
>> knowledge of
>> both the Tarot and the game of poker).
>
> Something I have found a lot of readers of Tim Powers to state
> independently is that the first book of his they read is the one they
> enjoy going back to most. For me, that's _The Anubis Gates_.
>
> Roger
> --

I've been waiting anxiously to re-read _The Stress of Her Regard_, but
it's out of print and our library doesn't have it. Apparently, it's
being re-released in the next year or so!

widdy

Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
G.K. Chesterton

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net