Links OT

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 6 22:17:22 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:19:38AM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> One minor point to bear in mind is that quite a lot of web users resent
> being told how to open new links - most modern web browsers give the
> user the _option_ of opening a link in a new window, in a new tab, or to
> replace the current window. It is of course possible to override the
> preferences set by the site designer, but the more time is spent doing
> that the less well-disposed the user is likely to feel to the web site.

Yes, having been the one to explain how you do it ... I should mention
that I find myself very annoyed when links open in new windows since I
am a diehard fan of tabbed browsing.  However, I usually avoid the
problem since I open links with middle click which automatically opens
them in a new tab in the background.

Allison