A certain best-selling novel (was Australia's favorite books)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:44:52 EST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Paul Andinach wrote:

> The interesting thing about this is that the notice at the front of
> Th* D*V*nc* C*d* doesn't actually say "This is all true" (I felt
> obliged to check the next time I was in a book shop). What it does is
> assert the bits that *are* true - the existence of certain paintings,
> certain organisations, and so on - but in such a way that the reader
> is encouraged to assume that the rest is true as well; in such a way
> that people remember it saying "This is all true", but without it
> actually saying so.

...of course, you never know, the "these things are true" statement
*could* be meant to send the reader into gales of laughter, because one of
the things that is supposedly described accurately is "secret
rituals"...but somehow I suspect that Dan Brown doesn't have that kind of
a sense of humor.

Too bad.