Australia's favorite books (was OT: Tad Williams and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Dec 6 12:18:51 EST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Monday, December 6, 2004, at 03:05 AM, Roger Burton West wrote:
>
> > I commend to your attention this perceptive analysis of the writing
> > style:
> > http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html
>
> Thank you, thank you!  I've been saved from ever attempting to read
> Th* D*VInc* C*d*.

Sadly, I have already read it. But I was much heartened by reading that
critique (thank you for the link, Roger!), because my major complaint
about the book (besides things like stupid sexist descriptions--Our
Heroine is not only a damn hot French cryptologist, but she has *burgundy*
hair, and it is not suggested that it came from a bottle) was the lousy,
lousy writing, coupled with three-page chapters. What was that about
declining attention spans? Anyway, I complained about the bad writing, and
many people said to me, people whose opinions I trust and value, "Oh, I
didn't mind it."

I also objected to the descriptions of artwork, especially with the note
in the beginning about "all descriptions are completely true," because at
least one piece is pretty oddly interpreted.

While Europe's eye is fix'd on mighty things,
The fate of empires and the fall of kings;
While quacks of State must each produce his plan,
And even children lisp the Rights of Man;
Amid this mighty fuss just let me mention,
The Rights of Woman merit some attention.
       --Robert Burns, Address on "The Rights of
       Woman", 26/10 1792