Australia's favorite books (was OT: Tad Williams and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 6 04:24:36 EST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Judith Ridge wrote:

> > Incidentally, did any other Aussie listers notice 'The Merlin
> > Conspiracy' in the TV ads? I've been forgetting to mention it ever
> > since they started airing.

> Which TV ads?

The original TV ad saying "We're having a poll to find Australia's
Favourite Book! Come and vote!" featured many panning shots of a large
pile of books, amid which could be discerned a copy of 'The Merlin
Conspiracy'. Spine-out, if I recall correctly, and not so prominent
that it was likely to make an impression on anyone who wasn't already
a fan[1], and probably there mainly because most of the books were
recent releases, but it was there.

----
[1] Unlike, say, Th* D*V*nc* C*d*[2], which got featured so much I'm
having dark thoughts about vote skewing[3].

[2] I've just thought of a tie-in the D*V*nc* C*d* cottage industry
hasn't cottoned onto yet: cookery books.
'The DaVinci Cod: Recipes of the Renaissance'.

[3] On top of all the doubts I'd be having about the validity of the
thing anyway, of course.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."