Australia's favorite books (was OT: Tad Williams and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 5 22:19:12 EST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Jon Noble wrote:

> On ABC TV here a couple of hours ago there was Australia's Favorite
> Book which was Lord of the Rings

/me dies of shock.

Has there been a nation's-favourite-book poll in recent history that
*wasn't* won by The Lord of the Rings?

-snip-
> One of the great joys of the program was hearing the Australian
> Rugby League Choir singing the plot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the
> Galaxy which also made the top ten.
-snip-
> They had the Bananas in pajamas summarise the plot of Pride and
> Prejudice, which was also worth catching.

Well, darn. We switched off long before the top ten because some of
the earlier stuff wasn't worth catching and we felt we had better
things to do. I wonder if it'll be available on the web site or
something?

-snip-
> The full list wasn't up on the website when I checked

It is now; Top 10 and Top 100. No DWJ.

(I have to admit that I didn't vote, and probably wouldn't have voted
for a DWJ book if I had - partly because I wouldn't have been able to
pick just one. The other reason I didn't bother voting was that even
if I had been able to pick a single favourite book, it would almost
certainly have been something with no chance of showing up on the
charts, like Janet Kagan's 'Hellspark'. Or DWJ, I suppose.)

Incidentally, did any other Aussie listers notice 'The Merlin
Conspiracy' in the TV ads? I've been forgetting to mention it ever
since they started airing.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."