Earthsea mini-series

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Dec 5 11:53:15 EST 2004

On Sunday, December 5, 2004, at 05:27 AM, ROSLYN wrote:

> Otter wrote:
>>
>> I looked at the sites and was not a bit pleased by what was apparently
>> being done with the stories.  In fact, I began to wonder if Ms.
>> LeGuin was
>> still alive.
>>
>> Indeed she is still alive.  And she's not a bit pleased either.
>>
>> Follow this link and scroll down until you find her statement.
>>
>> http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html
>
> Thanks for that, Otter. Maybe it's just as well if it doesn't come to
> Oz.
>
> Still, it isn't clear whether Ursula le Guin is critical of the actual
> film--or even if she's even actually seen it--or only the words that
> the director put into her mouth.

I expect she hasn't seen it.  But I worry about directors who make
statements of theme which are so clearly wrong.

I checked out the casting.  The only interesting bit was Ogion, who is
played by Danny Glover.  I realize that there are things which are just
too much to ask of the entertainment industry, but almost nobody
in the Earthsea books was white.  Certainly Ged was not blond.