OT: Tad Williams and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Dec 5 09:43:49 EST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Ian Riddell wrote:

> A question for any who've read Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and
> Thorn" trilogy. I'm almost finished with the first book, "The
> Dragonbone Chair", and I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice about
> whether it's worth pushing through and finishing it and going on to the
> next book in the series. It's an ok read, but it's not thrilling me
> deeply, and I'd like to know if there's an unexpected payoff or
> something unique that comes later that's worth working for. Or should I
> just put it down and move on to the next thing on my very big
> to-be-read pile.

I slogged through all three books a year and a half ago, because my
boyfriend lent them to me and he absolutely loves them. Apparently, my
final opinion was "good trilogy all 'round. very long." But I also feel
that I never have to read them again. I didn't feel that there was some
big nifty twist; I guessed some of the things that perhaps one wasn't
supposed to guess (although, come *on*); and I really didn't like how the
female characters were used.

So I think that since your to-be-read pile is big, you should go on to the
next thing, because you could probably read eight or ten books in the time
it would take you to read the "trilogy," which I count as four books
anyway, because book three's two parts were each larger than the first two
books.