The Baroque Cycle

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Dec 4 01:34:18 EST 2004

Ok Ven, your comments on the Baroque Cycle make me want to give it
another try. I started with the second volume, which may have been a
mistake, found it very hard slogging and a severe disappointment from a
writer I'd previously admired greatly. Stephenson could make me howl
with laughter just by describing Boston traffic, and he's the only sf
writer I've ever read who actually captured the way mathematicians think
about problems (in Cryptonomicon) but the Baroque Cycle felt like work,
not entertainment.

> I am a fast
>reader and sometimes have trouble finding quality
>new material to feed the habit.

I have that problem too - and right now it's particularly acute, because
I've been having a sequence of minor winter-related illnesses, haven't
been able to go to the library, have reread my home stash of fiction too
many times, and have been reduced to reading my husband's New York
Review of Books and bitching about the bad writing in the articles. So
it might be a really, really good idea to find some long fiction to read
before he has to kill me.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe