wiki

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 3 18:24:04 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 06:11:19PM -0500, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Kale wrote:
> |http://suberic.net/cgi-bin/dwj/wiki.cgi?Diana_Wynne_Jones_Mailing_List
> |
> |Is there any way to spamproof the wiki, btw?
>
> I bet I could lock the pages, give anyone who asks me for moderator
> access, and make it moderated.  Hmm.
>
> -deborah

That would be a sad thing to do since it removes the happy "everyone can
edit" wiki idea.  however, given that I visit the wiki practically
everyday for de-spam-ification, it would be nice to be able to go to it
and NOT see pages defaced with occasionally very icky spam.  The
spammers have gotten smarter and are sometimes making minor-edit changes
too, which makes it more annoying to clean up  (you need to set your
preferences for the RecentChanges page to show minor edits).

The other thing which would help and wouldn't be quite so drastic is to
set the wiki to only allow edits by logged in users. Is this possible ?
I've only ever seen one spammer who made a login (Aaaa or something like
that) so it might be worth seeing if this solved most of our problems,
assuming it's easy to set this up.

Allison