Lots of lovely royalties

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Thu Dec 2 17:41:55 EST 2004

>some writers get a bit (or a
>lot) of success and let it go to their heads.  They suddenly start squawking
>about artistry and getting all precious about their words and refuse to let
>editors do what editors are supposed to do

There are two cases I know of where a writer became rich and famous and
then reissued Their Own Original Version Of That Great Novel Before The
Editors Made All Those Horrible Cuts.

In both cases the Sacred Original Version seemed to me to be slow,
wordy, and in dire need of editorial surgery.

Something I do try to keep in mind while sulking about....er, I mean,
thinking over....editorial suggestions.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe