Lots of lovely royalties

Thu Dec 2 11:32:00 EST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:32:53 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>Actually, a few have that notion, Roger. Quite a few of my adult students
>are quite open about it. They want to earn money. Now. That's one reason
>most of them reject my suggestion that a six-book saga is not the best thing
>to write if you haven't written since high school.
>
>Then they quote Harry Potter at me.

When I took a creative writing class in college, the teacher had a guest
speaker who pointed out that if you want to make a living at writing, there
are lots of options: advertising copy, tech writing, etc.  There was a lot
of grimacing.  It's just not as glamourous if you're not getting the big
book deals, I guess.  But I'll admit it hadn't occurred to *me* how many
other ways there were to write for a living, either.

Did I ever mention, Sally, that we have one of your early-reader books in
our library?  I picked it up accidentally while putting together material
for teaching my second child to read.  Quite a surprise.

Melissa Proffitt