looking for songs (vaguely on topic, really)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Aug 31 09:58:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|I'm sure there are areas of human creative endeavour in which one won't
|eventually stumble against Neil Gaiman, but this inevitably isn't one of
|them.  (TA and NG are friends, so it isn't all that big a surprise if they
|put reference to each other in their work, I guess.)  If you want Gaimanic
|stuff, try The Flash Girls (Emma Bull and The Fabulous Lorraine, who works
|with Neil), who have recorded songs Neil has written -- but they aren't
|about specific books, so they aren't what deborah was looking for.  I have
|two Flash Girls albums, "Maurice and I" and "Play Each Morning Wild Queen",
|and there are three of Neil's songs on each.

ObDWJ:  Way back in the day, when I was first setting up the web site, I
went looking for DWJ information on the Web (at the time, there wasn't
any).  I came across Will Shetterly's sadly short-lived zine "The
Medusa", which contained DWJ's article.  This was my first exposure to
Will Shetterly, and, by extension, to Emma Bull and to the Flash Girls
I read and loved Shetterly and Bull, and so subscribed to the Flash
Girls mailing list without (at that time) ever having heard the band, on
the strength of my affection for Shetterly, Bull, and Neil Gaiman.  On
that mailing list I started a conversation which spun off into a private
thread with another list member, in which we were both operating under
what our net-handles were at the time.  In passing I mentioned, in
response to a question of his, a few characteristics of the three people
I currently live with, from which information he deduced who they were,
and thus from conversations he heard, who I was.  It turns out he had
been (sort of) to school with my housemates.

In October I will be his best man.  Girl.  Something.

So you see, it all comes back to DWJ, and the Niel Gaiman connection.

-deborah
--
Sir! I protest! I am _not_ a merry man!
		--lt. worf