looking for songs (vaguely on topic, really)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 22:20:56 EDT 2004

--- Laurel <lalamme at gru.net> wrote:

> Well, the incredibly funny "Book Report" (on Peter
> Rabbit) from the
> musical "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" jumps to
> mind, probably
> because I'm working on the musical at the moment.
> It's not really a
> popular song, but definitely not a children's song
> either. If you
> allowed show tunes, most of the musical "The Secret
> Garden" would also
> apply.

By co-incidence I've been very involved in a
production of this. Which brings to mind other musical
adaptations of Children's books - eg The Wizard of Oz
and Mary Poppins.
Melanie (Safka) did a couple of songs from AA Milne
poems Christopher Robin is Saying his prayers and
Alexander Beetle spring to mind but there may have
been others.
There are many songs based on, or inspired by the Lord
of the Rings - Led Zeppelin amoung others here, while
Oz jazz musician John Sangster wrote a suite based on
the Hobbit (just music - no lyrics).
There is a book that comes out that indexes popular
songs, whether this runs to noting connections to
children's literature or not I can't say, but a large
public library - or radio station may have it.

Jon