Angela Thirkell and Mixolydians

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sun Aug 29 07:52:09 EDT 2004

>a normal piece of
>music often starts on the root note of the scale, and certainly spends
>a fair bit of time on or near it.

Thanks! That does help. None of the books on music theory that I've
tackled ever said anything that concise or comprehensible, which is my
excuse for not having learned any significant amount of music theory.

As for having played chamber music for years without noticing your
observation about a normal piece of music's behavior....<blush>....well,
I'm so inept that I'm generally frantically busy trying to keep up with
the notes as they whiz by and not piss off the rest of the group by
getting totally lost. On the first run through I usually regard cresc.
and decresc. notations as merely polite suggestions; and I'm always
starting off the next piece in the key of the previous piece, but I'm
not the only one who does this, so they put up with it.

Guess I'll go read some sheet music now and see whether your statement
confirms my suspicion that Bartok is Not Normal.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

To say what you want to say you must create another language and nourish it for years and years with what you have loved, with what you have lost, with what you will never find again.

-George Seferis