Riddle-master trilogy was Re: Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 29 04:07:59 EDT 2004

> >> I freaked out my reading group by being able to pronounce
Ghisteslwchlohm
> >> without a hitch.  Patricia McKillip, bless her, is terrible for
> >> unpronounceable names.
> >>
> >> Melissa Proffitt
> >
> >Did you your reading group recently read McKillip, Melissa? If so, what
was
> >the reaction?
>
> Well, I did almost get into a fistfight with the one other member whose
> tastes are almost directly opposite mine and who did not enjoy it at
> all...the funny thing is that we seem to like all the same books, but we
> haven't agreed on ANY of the books the group has read over the last year
and
> a half.  She's wrong, of course.
>
> We read the Riddle-master trilogy over two months--in fact I'm having to
> miss the meeting tomorrow for a school function, which is sad because I
have
> Opinions.  It turned out that there were three women in the group who'd
> never read it at all, only one of whom is young enough to have a real
> excuse.  :)  I don't think any of them liked it much, but Tara, the
younger
> one, did seem to enjoy the parts she wasn't confused by.  We had to
explain
> the ending of _Riddle-master_ to her.  Wish I'd had someone do the same
for
> me.  I think I read it five times before I understood why Morgon was so
> upset about who he met at Erlenstar Mountain.  (In my defense I was quite
> bored by that last leg of the journey and wanted him to finally get
> somewhere, so I wasn't exactly reading for comprehension.)
>
> It's been interesting to discuss the series with people who all seem to
like
> it for different reasons.  Julie relates it to her first real introduction
> to fantasy; a favorite teacher loaned the book club omnibus to her from
his
> own personal library, which made an impression on her.  Kathleen has
> theories about the symbology that I've now forgotten, but I'm sure she'll
> tell me sometime.  I love the language and the way the land-rule works,
and
> in re-reading it this time (with my lovely first-edition hardcover copies,
> yay!) I finally understood why Morgon's acquisition of land-law in
_Harpist
> in the Wind_ was a necessary response to the power of the shape-changers.
> And that other girl was harping about grammatical inaccuracies.  Geez.

I know this is a truism, but I really do find it fascinating the way
different people actually do see such different things in the same text!

But harping on about grammatical inaccuracies with something as full of
stuff to talk about as Riddle-master, even if you don't like it, seems so
petty...

Ros