Angela Thirkell and Mixolydians

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Aug 28 21:23:35 EDT 2004

>  You could tell because of the different patterns of intervals in the
> scales. Note the difference in the last two intervals in the two patterns

Yes, if somebody's playing the two scales they sound different.  But
they use the same notes, don't they? If you take the notes out of the
scale and shake them well, how do you know whether they started as C
Major or Mixolydian G Major? So I still don't see how you can tell
whether a piece of music is composed in C Major or Mixolydian G Major.

I never really understood modes at all, as must now be crashingly obvious.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

To say what you want to say you must create another language and nourish it for years and years with what you have loved, with what you have lost, with what you will never find again.

-George Seferis