Angela Thirkell and Mixolydians

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Sat Aug 28 19:44:10 EDT 2004

You could tell because of the different patterns of intervals in the
scales. Note the difference in the last two intervals in the two
patterns:

Major pattern: tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone
Mixolydian pattern: tone tone semitone tone tone semitone tone

You can build them on any note you want. On a piano keyboard you get
mixolydian if you start at G and play all the white notes till you get
to the next G.

hope that helps!

widdy

On Saturday, August 28, 2004, at 03:34  PM, Margaret Ball wrote:

> Embedded within these books are a number of obscure jokes, including
> references to people playing Mixolydian etudes on some kind of > flute...
>

> weak on music theory here, but why couldn't you write a piece in
> Mixolydian mode for flute? (but then I can't figure out how you would
> be able to tell Mixolydian G major from regular C major. Ok, ok, I
> already admitted I'm shaky on music theory.)
>
> --
> Margaret Ball
> http://www.flameweaver.com
>
> To say what you want to say you must create another language and
> nourish it for years and years with what you have loved, with what you
> have lost, with what you will never find again.
>
> -George Seferis

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.
Andre Gide

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net