Merlin Conspiracy

Chris R sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 16:51:50 EDT 2004

Charlie:
> >|He turns up in some of the retellings of the
> Arthur stories, and kidnaps
> >|Guinevere and takes her to his house under a hill
> or sometimes a lake,
> >|or just in the middle of a lake.  Then she gets
> rescued by Lancelot as
> >|usual.

Deborah:
> >Oh!  This is the myth that Mary Stewart gives to
> ... some small king or
> >another.

Minnow:
> So she does! I'd forgotten that.  She conflates it
> with one of the
> standard "Lancelot rescues Guinevere from some
> Dastardly Villain" events
> that's pretty-much part of the canon, I think.  Is
> there a chess-piece
> involved, or something? It's a long time since I
> read them...

It also comes up in the Chevalier de la Charrette -
the dastardly villain this time is Meleagant, and he
takes her off to the thinly disguised otherworld, and
Lancelot and Gawain have to rescue her by crossing the
Sword Bridge and the (Under-)Water Bridge
respectively. Lancelot has more luck with the Sword
Bridge, but it's ouchy to read, even in mediaeval
French.

Chris