Merlin Conspiracy

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Aug 27 10:43:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> If you have loved Thornyhold, which is one of her most recent books,
> have you met her earlier stuff as well? If not, you have a real treat in
> store, because she did rattling good "thriller with love interest" for a
> long time, and her heroines are in general not just wimps who get
> kidnapped, they run the stories. For instance there's a car-chase
> through France in *Madam Will You Talk?* in which the driver is the girl
> -- who is no slouch behind the wheel! And that is set fairly soon after
> WWII when it was quite unusual for people to write competent heroines.

Ooh, I love that one! She puts in interesting scenery, too, such as The
Moon-Spinners, which takes place in Greece, I think. And the heroes fall
in love with the heroines partly because they deal so well with the crises
that occur.

My one issue is that the names tend to be rather unattractive--Chastity
and Nicola are the two that come to mind.

(I would recommend against reading My Brother Michael, as it upset me for
some reason I'm blocking out.)