Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 05:57:12 EDT 2004

Minnow wrote:
> Someone somewhere once remarked that members of the middle
> classes wrote ghastly accounts of the horror of the trenches in WWI, but
> the Oxfordshire agricultural labourers who came back from that war said that
> although they had had a nasty time, they had never eaten so well in their
> lives as they did in the trenches!

Some women-at-war thing I've read or seen in an exhibition included a young woman who was working 14-hour days in a munitions factory, plus an hour walk to and from work, for sixpence a month- sorry, for not terribly much money- but who nevertheless felt better than she ever had in her life because for the first time she could afford enough to eat. It makes me feel positively fond of our current system.
Jennifer