Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Wed Aug 25 15:37:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:42:21 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>|On the other hand, I think I've mentioned before that Patricia McKillip
>|answered the question about pronouncing "Raederle" by saying "I pronounce it
>|Red-earl, but I've been told I'm wrong."  I think she's wrong.  That's such
>|an unattractive pronunciation for a pretty name.
>
>The person I know whose name that is pronounces it RAY-der-lee.  Much
>prettier.

Since that's mostly how I pronounce it, between it being her name and me
being Allways Right...sorry, wait, I'm being overwhelmed by my superiority
complex.  Or, more likely, it's lunchtime and I'm hungry again.  I wonder if
I have enough change for onion rings...the non-Terry-Brooks flavored kind.

Actually the giddiness could be the effects of test-driving cataloguing
systems.  I know, I already have a perfect one, but since it looks like I
will have tremendous influence on what the school chooses (because nobody
else wants the joyless job) I am just casting about to make sure there isn't
an option better for them.  It's making my eyes hurt.

Melissa Proffitt
(avoiding housework)