Tolkien (was Re: Who invented the modern fantasy genre?)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Aug 25 15:33:02 EDT 2004

Melissa said...

> On the other hand, I think I've mentioned before that Patricia McKillip
> answered the question about pronouncing "Raederle" by saying "I pronounce
it
> Red-earl, but I've been told I'm wrong."  I think she's wrong.  That's
such
> an unattractive pronunciation for a pretty name.

Well, I would pronounce it "RAYD-er-luh" (first syllable having the stress
and being like a bank raid, second syllable a schwa really, pronouncing the
E at the end because I speak German :-) ).

But then, I am well-known to be Weird in many ways, and my pronunciation of
fantasy names is often very different from everyone else's, including the
relevant authors'.  This is what comes of being able to pronounce (if not
speak!) about 9 different languages!

Dorian.